Well, this will be our last rehearsal blog for the show, since we officially opened Macbeth last Friday! So read on to find out how our tech rehearsals went, as well as opening weekend!
On tech Sunday, just over a week ago, we managed to put together most of our piping for the outline of the set, which was enough to at least do part of a dry run of the show, without adding costumes or most of our final prop pieces, which were still being built. Check out a time-lapse video of our set being put together below!
After Sunday, from Monday right up through Friday afternoon before opening, we slowly added more and more elements and worked on figuring out how everything would work together for our opening performances on the weekend. Some of the issues we had to work out during tech week included but were not limited to:
Fake blood, obviously! Experimenting with finding the best recipe, making it show up against the lights, and figuring out how to (quickly) get it out of clothing and the set, especially between the turn around for our 2 pm Saturday matinee and our 8 pm Saturday show. We ended up using two separate recipes, because we have two different types of uses for the blood in a variety of the scenes.
We had to figure out how to fit the prop tables backstage, where to fit the actual SET tables backstage, where to fit… everything backstage, really, especially since part of the back wall is tarp and is fairly see-through.
Costumes, costumes, costumes. We had to gather all the little bits and pieces together, and making sure everyone had all their costume(s) - from their crown to their socks - takes much more effort than you might think. Shoutout to our awesome costumer for the show, Brooke O’Mara!
We ran the show enough times for our phenomenal stage manager, Lyssa Troemel, to get used to our lighting cues while also attempting to gather all of our props and set dressings. We also had to work out transitions between scenes that we couldn’t work before, when we didn’t have the furniture to practice moving yet.
We had to make sure our incredible composer and musician, Kurt Roembke, could get used to playing his music on the organ onstage… while facing backwards, unable to see us.
Puppet wrangling. Need we say more??
And then throughout the week, members of our cast and crew diligently worked to get the tables sawed, the benches painted, the lighting mastered, and all finishing touches put on the set.
But all the hours of work paid off during opening weekend, when we had our first taste of a real audience! With two more weekends to go, we can’t wait to see how the show will grow and improve between now and our last performance. Tickets are now available on artstix.org - we look forward to seeing you soon!
Just because this is the last rehearsal blog doesn’t mean it’s the end of the road for your behind-the-scenes glimpses. Check back next week with an interview with some of the cast and crew. But come see the show first! ;)